This symposium is designed to offer practical strategies to any new or seasoned providers who facilitate bariatric support groups. A multidisciplinary panel of support group experts will discuss pros/cons of social media, ways to increase and maintain patient attendance at groups and beyond, and support group topic ideas. Time will be devoted to hearing from the audience and utilizing the expertise of audience members to share experiences and ideas. All multidisciplinary team members currently involved in or looking to get involved in support groups are welcome.
- Recognize pros and cons of social media in bariatric support
- Identify what makes social media educational resources for our patients vs entertainment, and how to educate patients on the differences
- Learn about tried-and-true and new support group topics
- Discover ways to keep patients engaged outside of support groups
- Discuss your own support group experiences and utilize the multidisciplinary panel to address specific concerns
Nini Peterson, PhD
Successful Support Groups
Jill W Welshans, AG-ACNP
Support Beyond the Support Group
Emily M Thompson, RD CSOWM LD
Social Media in Bariatric Support: Education or Entertainment?
Andrea Rigby, PsyD; Beth Czerwony, LD MS RD
Panel Discussion & Audience Q&A
Lauren Carey, RD; Jill W Welshans, AG-ACNP; Emily M Thompson, RD CSOWM LD; Andrea Rigby, PsyD; Beth Czerwony, LD MS RD