- Identify the difference between complementary medicine and alternative medicine
- Discuss the use of mind body techniques for bariatric surgery patients
- Describe the intersection of integrative nutrition and bariatric nutrition
- Develop an understanding of the complementary medicine treatments that are available
- Discuss how and when these modalities may be applied
- Characterize indications and contraindications for use
Is there a role for complementary modalities to support the surgical weight loss journey? This session will discuss the evidence for, and the use of, various complementary and alternative medicine modalities including meditation, mindfulness, imagery, yoga, tai chi, Reiki, breath techniques, functional nutrition, acupuncture, acupressure, aromatherapy, medical cannabis, and others. Discussion will focus on both the benefits and indications (for example pain relief, stress management, co-morbidities, weight loss), as well as the cons or special considerations, for the use of these various tools for patients engaged in a bariatric surgery program.
More Information Coming Soon!
Welcome and Introduction
The Mind Body Connection: Meditation, Mindfulness, Imagery
Utilizing Yoga, Tai Chi, Reiki, Breath Techniques
Functional and Integrative Nutrition
Integrative Surgery, Incorporating Complementary Modalities
Discussion and Question & Answer